View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 06:12 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Can’t tame my hammy :(

Hi and welcome to HC!
Congratulations to your new hamster.

First of all you need to stock up on patience and then some more.

Please give your hamster time to settle in and get used to his new surroundings. He's just had a major change in his life and needs time to adjust. It's advisable to leave a hamster alone for the first week or two. Talking is fine of course and offering treats.

I have seven hamsters and not one of them sits on my hand for very long because its in their nature to explore, run and sniff around.

You could take him out of his cage by letting him walk into a jug but cover the top while you move him then sit down somewhere safe and let him walk around on your lap so he gets to know you. Offer him some treats on your hand if you like but keep the sessions short so he won't get scared or stressed. You could sit in a playpen or a bathtub with a blanket down.

Best not to take too much notice of what you read. Every hamster is different and they are not here to perform for us humans. Just because some people say that they were able to hold their hamster within a week doesn't mean that you can expect to hold your hamster within a week as well.

You've only had him for 8 days and he seems to be getting comfortable with you already so i wouldn't worry about leaving it too late to build a relationship with him because you are on your way to that already.

Relax and enjoy your hamster's company. Everything else will fall into place.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote