View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 03:21 PM  
Stick
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Can you train a hamster to sleep on you?

My current Syrian hamster George has been an incredibly laid back boy almost from when I brought him home. I got him from the RSPCA and he was very scared the first few days but he soon settled down and nearly every time I get him out of the cage now he will curl up for a doze. He's never gone to sleep actually on me but if I lie propped up against pillows on the bed he will either climb up to the pillow behind my head or curl up next to my leg if I make a little cave out of a blanket. He will then doze for 2 hours no problem while I read, he'd probably doze even longer but I usually put him back in case he's needing a wee by then! It's so sweet to see him curled up and relaxed for so long. He is an old hamster now, if the RSPCA got his age right he was 2 when I got him which makes him 3.5 years now. So it's understandable he wants to sleep, but he's done this from pretty much a month after I brought him home. I only get him out when he's already up and usually running in his wheel, so it's not like I drag him out of his nest half asleep already. I just take it as a sign that he feels safe and relaxed enough to do this which is really nice to know. I think it's just down to the individual hamster, but I've been lucky enough to own 3 who will settle like this (all male Syrians), the rest have been hyper!
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote