View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 09:08 PM  
Eldur
Newborn Pup

Smile Brownie's DIY HamsterWorld

Brownie came to us in the tiniest cage with the tiniest wheel. She (uhm, we don't know if she's a she or a he.. we just go with she) was not a happy hamster. We "upgraded" her to the largest plastic cage we could find online. She seemed happier - she dedicated a corner for potty, one for nesting and food storage. I could fill the bottom with close to 3" of bedding and she LOVED to dig around that. The top "floor" was awkward and didn't get used much other than to get to her food and water. The wheel it came with worked okay, but it was so loud and I hated seeing her arch her back so bad. This was before I began researching hamster needs. As I learned more and more, I realized her cage was simply not adequate. Not only did she not have enough floor space, we couldn't add anything to enrich her life. Within days of deciding I was going to make her a cage, I stumbled across a hutch - for free! ~60$ and 3 days of work later, HamsterWorld was ready for our cutie!

Here's how it began:

Finished assembly..

This picture gets me - cage comparison.
Old cage is on top, pictured without the shelf insert to accomodate the bigger wheel.
We easily doubled her living space.

With all the bells and whistles! Okay maybe not all.. still want to add more for her!

Sweet little ramp and her favorite timothy hay chew

Happy lady's first steps in her new home!
Eldur is offline   Reply With Quote