View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 04:25 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Edwina went to the doctor's.

I gave Edwina the medication on a small piece of shreddie which she ate every time.

I took her back to the vet who was very good with Henry. He said that he could not feel a lump or mass but strongly suspects that the swelling is fluid caused by her lymphatic system not functioning as it should. He thought that drainage under gas carried quite a high risk. He's convinced that Edwina is not in pain because she didn't react to him prodding and poking her. He thought that even the friendliest hamster would bite, squeak or try to hide if in pain but Edwina sat on his hand having a wash when he was finished.
His advice was to keep an eye on the swelling and her quality of life and to take action as and when needed. I still have the painkiller should i ever think that she's in pain.

He did give me the option of a referal to the exotic animal hospital but i haven't quite decided yet which way to go.

Edwina is now 15 month old and she has always kind of vibrated which has increased over the last few months. She's a petsathome hybrid so possibly genetically disadvantaged.

I have seen more of her lately and this morning she was keen to come out of her cage. Edwina free roamed and run around on the floor, sat under the helmet washing and scrunched on seeds in her favourite corner, something i haven't seen her do for a while. I haven't noticed the swelling but didn't want to spoil her fun by turning her over so will check another day.

She's not old but she has this look of a little old lady with Parkinsons about her. Hard to explain. There's a fragility about her.

I'm inclined to let her live out her life for as long as she comfortably can and give her a helping hand if and when needed.
Or should i take up the referal and subject her to invasive tests trying to find out what is wrong with her?

I'm not looking for answers but opinions are always appreciated.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote