View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 04:56 AM  
RolyRocks
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Help - small bugs in water bowl?!

UPDATE -

These "bugs" have been identified as an insect called Booklice. We managed to look at them under a microscope and sent a picture to my sister who is a vet nurse. She put it on a forum and they have been confirmed as Booklice.
Firstly they are not actually lice as their name would suggest and are completely harmless to pets and humans. However they are a nuisance and need to be dealt with.
It says the are associated with damp and poor ventilation. I do not have my windows open in my bedroom because I do not want him to get a draft and in the morning my windows can sometimes be quite wet which I wipe down with a cloth. I wonder if it might be down to this although I have not spotted any insects on my windows or anywhere else. The other possibility which my sister suggested is the paper bedding. They love paper so they could have originated from there.. They also feed on grains and could have possibly come from food but I do freeze his food before hand.
When I cleaned out his cage I found a few more in his coconut and a few underneath the substrate. Certainly not an infestation.
Anyway, as recommended I have got rid of all bedding and food in his cage and thoroughly cleaned it. I am freezing everything else for at least 48 hours, including his new Kaytee Clean and Cosy bedding. Fingers crossed this will do the trick!
Lastly, they suggest online getting a de-humidifier which I am in the process of looking into!
I just hope all this doesn't stress my little guy out too much. He is not eating very much in his temporary cage. Is there any way of lessoning stress when I put him back into his old cleaned out cage because everything will smell new. I'm guessing Pet Remedy Plug Ins maybe aren't the best due to their strong smell?!

Sorry for the long post - I will be interested to hear if anybody else has heard of booklice?
RolyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote