View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 10:58 PM  
Grinewin
Newborn Pup

Default Giving A Young Hamster Enough Protein

Hello all I've had my dwarf hamster Egg for about six months now and feel ready to start looking into adding a new hamster to the household! But a lot of the hamsters available locally at the moment are quite young, four to five weeks. I'm at least a couple weeks away from making an adoption appointment, but I'd like to start planning what to feed the new hamster if they turn out to be younger than six months. As far as I know, that's when hamsters need more than the usual 18 to 20 percent protein, but of course, there aren't actually any foods that have such a high protein value. I feel like increasing the amount of Mazuri pellets wouldn't really work, since baby hams surely don't eat as much as adult hams, so...ideas? It's possible I'll end up with an adult anyway, baby hams tend to be adopted quickly, but I like to be prepared!

I'm in the US, FYI, so we don't have a lot of great foods over here. I feed Egg Vita Garden and Mazuri pellets, so that's what I already have on hand. Thanks in advance!
Grinewin is offline   Reply With Quote