Thread: Euthanasia
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 11:01 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Euthanasia

I went through this when our first hamster Charlie was nearing his time and was very anti the idea of euthanasia for this reason. It depends on the vet whether they use gas anaesthetic first or not so it's important to ask/specify you want that. Some vets give you the option to be there and no gas (you can't be there in the room when they use gas) but there is a lot of debate as to whether it causes pain or not. The injection.

Even so I also do not like the idea of an injection straight into the heart without anaesthetic and think it would be cruel. Even if it is quick. They are already scared and suffering and it is not the way I would want a life to end. Our current vet will only use gas anaesthesia first and I find that reassuring.

I phoned round 2 or 3 vets before taking Charlie somewhere and was horrified to hear one vet being quite jokey about it and saying no they don't use anaesthesia and yes sometimes it doesn't work first time and they have to inject into the gut instead. Very insensitive.They can either inject into the gut (preferable) or directly into the heart (more successful first time). But he said - up to the vet to decide. So you don't know. So being asleep and pain free with gas first is important.

The vet I finally went to I had a very bad experience. It was quite traumatic. I still don't know if he had the gas or not, she didn't speak good English and the way he was returned was exremely upsetting. I now have a vet who is very good when it comes to euthanasia (don't like her that much but she is very good at that stage).

I will add that I am now pro euthanasia because there is inadequate pain relief for hamsters who are in a lot of pain. But only if there is anaesthesia first.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote