Thread: Euthanasia
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2021, 10:20 AM  
yasmin_the_hamster
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Euthanasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
A while ago i read an alarming thread on a continental hamster forum.
The author of the thread was traumatised by the way her hamster had been put to sleep by a vet and i'm not going to go into the distressing details.
I forgot the name of the drug used but i think that it starts with a T and should only be used by administering a general anaesthetic first, then wait for 10 minutes before administering the said drug because it paralyses muscles and suffocates the hamster which is an awful death for a conscious or even semi conscious animal.
The thread also stated that most vets refuse to use this cheaper drug and put a hamster to sleep with an overdose of a narcotic.
I don't need to spell out what happened to the poor hamster but have always wondered of the method or methods used here in the UK.
What are the experiences of the forum members?
Thank you for pointing this out. Yasmin is still small, but it is definitely something to keep in mind - to always ask, what the vet is doing and using.

In Prague, there are animal services, which offer that a vet comes to your house, puts an animal into sleep in the safety of your home and then they do a cremation for your hamster to offer somehow decent way to say a goodbye. I would hate to leave my pets body at the vet, because the way they dispose of animals bodies are... well, unacceptable for me. However, I do not know what they use to put an animal into sleep, or other details of their service. It is just something I will consider when the time comes.
yasmin_the_hamster is offline   Reply With Quote