View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 01:32 PM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Cage/Peer pressure on social media

Zedrobber that makes me sad because I think you can give a hamster an awesome home in those cages.

I was reading a post the other day about how all hamsters should burrow and if yours doesn't then you are doing something wrong, you have the wrong bedding, not making it good enough to hold burrows , it's not high enough etc (just like you said) and I was like I have tried everything to get Twinkle to burrow, he just doesn't. I read some research that said sometimes it can take up to 80cm of bedding i think it was before they start burrowing. That's just not possible with the cages I have.. I felt really sad when I read all that and it made me think I was being cruel to my hamsters.

The thing is I actually think keeping hamsters in cages is cruel, they should never have tried to be domesticated, but the fact is they have and so now we have to step up and give those that need it a good home to live in. That's all we can do really.

Someone criticised one of my cages because it's not the German min 100*50cm, I think it is 97cm *47cm. I honestly don't think my hamster is going to die or have harm come to it because it is a few cms short of 100*50cm.. I think common sense has to prevail at some point. If my cage was empty and had nothing in it, then maybe criticise me.. but seriously!

It does worry me about the future though, will it put people off from having hamsters because they think they can't give them a good life as they don't have room for a detolf cage or bigger.