View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 04:01 AM  
TullamoreDew
Newborn Pup

Default When is the End? The Hardest Decision

Hi there,

I am a newbie to this page and am really sorry if i haven't posted this in the right place! but am really desperate for some advice. I have a gorgeous two year old (roughly- he was a rescue) Syrian Hamster called Tullamore Dew (Tully) and over the last few months has been showing signs of aging.

Around a month ago, he began to lose a little weight, a little fur and just seemed to look 'older'. He had a slight shake/wobble when walking and standing up but was still keen to come out and play and eat his favourite snacks.

However, last tuesday, i spot cleaned his cage (i know older hamsters don't like to be fully cleaned out) and noticed he was in a permament 'half asleep' state. After i was finished i watched him for quite a while and he seemed very disorientated but eventually went back to sleep.

However, over the last week, i have noticed that he sleeps almost all day and night (only comes out maybe once or twice to wee) and have a tiny munch on food. He is in a large plastic bin cage and when i used to take the lid off, he used to wake up and look up at me, however, i have realised now he may not be able to hear or see me or may just be in too deep sleep to realise. Its really hard to see. Furthermore, he is wobbly more when he walks and occasionally falls which is heartbreaking to see (his cage is very safe as i have adapted it so its safe for him- moving his food and water next to his bed).

My question is (and i know its a very personal decision) but, when is the time to get him put down? I really would rather avoid this as he seems to peaceful just sleeping but i also realise that he doesn't really have a very good quality of life anymore. He doesn't climb or eat his favourite treats. I thought a week ago he was on his last legs and wouldn't last the night but a week later, he is still here (which is great, but almost heartbreaking to see).

I know he won't 'recover' so per say because he is just old and its clear he is an elderly hamster but my question is, how long do they live just sleeping and minimally eating? He seems ok just cosied up in his bed but i need to be honest with myself and figure out whether i am just being selfish keeping him around when he is 'existing' more than 'living' if that makes sense.

I love him so much and have told him he can leave and cross the rainbow bridge whenever he feels like it but he seems content just to stay and sleep here on earth side longer. I really hate the thought of him being in pain though but am not sure if he is when he is just sleeping.

I have emailed my local vets asking for advice too but i wanted to ask on here as well as i know the forum is full of kind and compassionate people who know lots about little hams.

Thanks for taking the time to read this 🐹
TullamoreDew is offline   Reply With Quote