View Single Post
Old 02-05-2021, 07:10 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Are antlers safe as a chew toy?

Interesting question! I don't know much about antlers but assume they vary with different species - or are they just from deer? I don't know if they would splinter - maybe depends how hard they are. I think my concern might be they could be sharp/hard if fallen on from the cage roof - but then careful placement might get round that.

I remember an issue re lava rock and whether that was safe (I think consensus was it was ok). So I had a lava ledge and it was ignored for chewing! Sat under and sat on but not chewed!

It might actually be the same with antlers. Unless it is a particularly chewy hamster they may be just ignored!

I tend to err on the side of caution with things - but if it adds to enrichment of set up I might think about trying it. Personally I'd find other enrichment and chews I think. Eg bones are fine for dogs to chew (and they do splinter) but not for hamsters really.

What I would be really interested to know about is raw food diets! I had never heard of this until came across it for cats and dogs to prevent allergies and for general health. Sounds yucky but apparently better than commercial foods. I have not seen anything like that for hamsters and wonder if it is a possibility.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote