View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 09:43 AM  
Flossypet
Hamster Pup

Angry Tiny pet shop cages

I know this is often discussed and it (hopefully) disgusts all of the people on this forum to see tiny cages being advertised as suitable for hamsters. I have come to accept that pet shops will continue to stock ridiculously small housing and I have to put up with buying them anyway, but shouldn't the RSPCA do something about it? I looked up the sizes of pet shop basic wire cages and they are much smaller than the RSPCA's recommended minimum of 80cm x 50cm:

Small : depth 25 x height 30 x width 47cm
Medium: d25 x h30 x w50cm
Large: d30 x h38 x w59cm

These cages are advertised as complete hamster homes, implying that you need nothing else. A worker in the pets at home nearest to me told me that they sell on average one hamster a day there, and I am certain that almost every single sale is with a cage much too small for a hamster. They don't even stock big enough cages in their stores at all. I know that really they are just out to make money but you would have thought they would make some effort to stock the right cage size for those who want.

Yesterday I went to pet shop to get my hamster a bigger wheel (as she has almost grown out of the medium 17cm one) but after looking around, I couldn't even find a bigger one at all, so I came home only to find they didn't have any online either!

Anyway, as a side point, does anyone know good website to get a larger wheel on? I don't have a big budget but if I have to pay a lot to get a decent one I will.

Last edited by souffle; 02-05-2021 at 02:34 AM.
Flossypet is offline   Reply With Quote