Thread: Chewing plastic
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 11:29 PM  
hamster_lover995
Newborn Pup

Smile Re: Chewing plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monitarlizard View Post
Hi! I have a Russian dwarf hamster. Have had her for 6 days now. Over the last 3 or so days I’ve noticed she chews on the plastic tubing in her cage.

For reference she is in a diy bin cage that is roughly 34inx17inx12.5in. Not huge but the biggest I could fit in my space. She has several items that she could chew at the moment, including store bought wooden and mineral chews; loofa chew; large wooden bridge that doubles as one of her two hideouts; grassy teepee hide; two toilet paper rolls and a hay like ball thing. All these items she completely ignores and is instead chewing her plastic tubes

She also has a 6.5 in wheel that she barely uses as far as I can tell. It’s not too small either in fact I worried that it might be to big for her but she can move it.
I’ve been doing free roaming time in my bathroom hoping she’ll burn of some steam. I let her run around for 20ish minutes today. But still she chews the plastic. What am I doing wrong?
Hi! Your cage seems just fine but I would recommend taking away the plastic tubing and instead use a safer alternative like cork wood. It seems like you are giving her plenty of chews but sometimes you may need to add ore enriching things like puzzles and sand baths! Hope this helped.
hamster_lover995 is offline   Reply With Quote