Thread: Chewing plastic
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 11:05 PM  
Monitarlizard
Newborn Pup

Smile Re: Chewing plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I would take the plastic tubes out and replace them with a cork or wicker tunnel or something natural like that.
Have you checked that her water bottle works ok?
Does she have deep substrate to burrow in?

6.5in is the minimum size wheel a dwarf hamster needs so please don't get a smaller one just make sure that it runs freely and doesn't catch on the stand as they sometimes do.
If you have the space in the cage you could add a second wheel, a flying saucer but leave the upright one in as well.
My dwarfs use both wheels and one didn't use the upright one for ages but always used the saucer.

Does your bin cage have enough ventilation? It needs a meshed lid and a meshed front window.
Sizewise i think its fine for a dwarf.

Does your hamster have a sandbath? Dwarfs usually love them. I put a sandbath on top of a free standing platform with a bendy bridge leading up to it to create another level in a tank or bin cage which works well.

You could post a photo of your setup so people can have a look.

I don't think that you are doing anything wrong but it can take a while to get a setup so the hamster likes it.

All my hamsters ignore chews i bought in the petshop like the ones you mentioned and they're now ornaments lying around.

Get a small Whimzee dog chew like the xs or s size toothbrush which your dwarf will probably love. They often take a Whimzee straight to their nest or hide their treasure.
Thanks for your response! I ended up covering up the plastic that she was chewing on, or removing it from the cage. And low and behold she has discovered she has a wheel haha! She has used it more today than in the week I’ve had her.

I see the whimzee chews recommended a lot for hamster so I’ll have to get her some so she has something to chew on. I also want to get her sand, reptisand seems to be what is recommended on most hamster forums. I will post a picture of the setup. I’m having trouble uploading a picture on my phone.
Monitarlizard is offline   Reply With Quote