View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 04:42 AM  
mmmolly
Newborn Pup

Default Re: First time hamster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Your hamster is very lucky that you stepped in to take good care of him.

I have four dwarf hybrids and they all have very different personalities ranging from very lively and up whenever someone goes near her cage to a dwarf i rarely see because he prefers to do his own thing to somewhere inbetween.

They get up at different times and out of the four, three free roam in a hamster proof room, at different times of course. One does not like or want out of cage time.

You could try and rustle the substrate near your hamster's sleeping place in the evening and hold a dried mealworm or pumpkin seed to see if he gets up. If he digs deeper and deeper i would leave him alone because it means that he does not want to get up.

I feed mine a scoop of hamster mix daily and one waits for it. Not that she's hungry because she has a big hoard but she loves to forage. I also scatter some about to keep them busy.
Dwarfs are prone to diabetes so best to avoid fruit and sugary foods and honey which is often used to bind nibble sticks. Some are ok so its a matter of reading the ingredients list. Rodipet, Getzoo, Zooplus, Mixerama all do suitable dwarf mixes. I don't know where in Europe you are but if you're in the Uk the Harry Hamster is ok too but quite chunky.

I find that the easiest way to pick up a dwarf is to scoop them up in your hands. If the hamster is still nervous of hands then let him walk into something like a jug but cover it with your hand while transfering him.

In time you'll get to know your hamster and his habits and in the meantime ask what you'd like to know because we've all been new to this once.
He is starting to get some sort of routine but it is still all over the place.

I will try rustling with a treat and see how it goes, I understand if he doesn't want to get up, it is usually in the day.

I will look into those foods, thanks for the suggestion.
I will try scooping he just always runs away and I don't think im really doing it properly aha
mmmolly is offline   Reply With Quote