View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 01:36 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default wRe: Bar chewing - advice on set-up please!

Both my Syrians happily live in this cage and free roam in the evening.

l think that the things inside your cage may be too small for a Syrian. Is that the orange or the yellow silent runner wheel? I can't quite make out the colour The yellow is for a dwarf hamster and the orange is for a Syrian.

Does your hamster have a large, bottomless house to make a nest and keep a hoard in? The little white house supplied with the Alaska is way too small for a Syrian.

Open ladders and hanging toys like swings and hammocks can be an accident risk because paws can get trapped in them. Trixie does 55cm long ladders that are far more suitable and versatile.

I'm not trying to critise your set up but trying to point out what may not be suitable for a Syrian and which could frustrate Snowdrop because she can't use it.

My hamsters let me know when something in their cages is not to their liking and sometimes it takes me a while to get it right for them.

For example, my Syrian Rodney doesn't burrow but likes heights and sitting in various hides. He always sleeps and hoards in his Ferplast guinea pig house and pees in his sand filled corner toilet under a shelf.
This set up suits him but could be all wrong for another hamster.

What i'm saying is that the cage may be fine but maybe Snowdrop wants a different set up so is trying to tell you that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201026_204829.jpg (2.55 MB, 8 views)
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote