View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 07:30 AM  
yasmin_the_hamster
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Obsessive digging - hurt paws, ripped nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Sorry no, i don't have any other ideas. It does sound like she was frantically trying to escape from her habitat and dug so much on the glass that she had abrasions on her paws.

If you have a look on the German Hamster Forum under Gehegevorstellung you will see that their very large enclosures also have a lot of enrichment and overhead cover to make the hamster feel secure and save. You can create different levels in a large tank and do all sorts of interesting things.
I think that Yasmin feels very exposed in the new tank which would make her very scared.

Most hamsters also need out of cage time and some need more than others. Trying to get out of their cage and telling us by bar chewing may not be caused by boredom only. They simply want to get out to explore the world beyond their habitats.
Please, do not get me wrong. I take Yasmin out every night for at least an hour, if I can than longer, and she has a whole room to explore (and I keep an eye on her always, since she is so wild). I will have a look on the page that you recommended. I want to be sure this will never happen again.

Since I do not have camera, I sometimes record Yasmin during the night and hear the recording later on. By chewing a lot I mean chewing the bars for the big part of the night. That is why I decided she needed more enrichment. Of course, I could put her in the bin. However, I do not think that having no bars to chew on solves the stress that hamster feels, that leads to chewing in the first place.

Thank you for your opinion. I will be slowly introducing it to Yasmin after she heals in a manner of several weeks, as a playpen. I will also make adjustments as you suggested.
yasmin_the_hamster is offline   Reply With Quote