View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 03:20 PM  
MikeTherk
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Can you train a hamster to sleep on you?

Aw, thanks. I'll give this a shot.

My current hamster is hand tamed and will ride around on my shoulder without trying to get away.

My last hamster used to sleep in my pocket if it was wearing basketball shorts or in the pouch in the front if I was wearing a hoody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Some of it is the nature of the hamster. But the key is to a very very tame hamster who is really bonded with you. But even then it has to be a dopey time for the hamster! Our first hamster regularly went to sleep on my knee but only if he was under a blanket and if it was between 8pm and 9pm (when he liked to nap) before or after that time he was off and very active and wanting to jump off the sofa and explore.

I also had a little donut bed he liked curling up in. So he'd curl up in that on the sofa, I'd lift it onto my knee. He would only stay in it if I then put a blanket over the top.

Focus on hand taming - bathtub taming - until they are easily picked up without wriggling and don't try and run away.

It was this one. Only for out of cage use really as if they chew it,it has stuffing inside that could block their pouches or gut.

Hamster Napper 16cm/13cm: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I also had a fleece blanket that was for the hamster - so had his smell on it.

Three different hamsters liked it. But they have to be in the mood! And feel safe and relaxed. So as well as taming you need to keep their trust. Don't mess with their nest and hoard and if you do, do it very very respectfully

Attachment 51958

Attachment 51959

Attachment 51960

Attachment 51961
MikeTherk is offline   Reply With Quote