Thread: Cage too big?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 04:43 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

I was thinking of the furet tower as well . I think it is supposed to be 80 x 50 (depends where you measure from and the bottom half usually has a plastic base that holds about 6” substrate max which is fine. My concern would be the height. Ideally you would have a lower wider cage for a Syrian. If it’s for a dwarf hamster then you’d need to make a full level to reduce the height and fall risks. And even for a Syrian it would need setting up very carefully to avoid fall risks. Eg shelves and ensuring there is nothing hard at floor level that can be landed on so hard or sharp items are under a shelf. Or I also have a rat tube tied to the roof leading between shelves and a hanging rat Sputnik next to a shelf so harder floor toys can go underneath those.

I believe meshing on the inside is recommended (so they don’t get trapped between the bars and mesh if they squeeze through the bars).

There is a good choice of better cages in the Uk - but there is a bit of a supply and availability issue at the moment due to the pandemic. Last time I looked at Zooplus they had no hamster cages in stock at all! Normally the Alaska cage is a good budget choice at about £32 (which could well work out cheaper than buying shelves and mesh).

Amazon and pets at home have the hamster heaven and pets at home sells the Savic plaza. Neither are that cheap. And the Savic plaza is also about 48cm tall and needs setting up carefully. The hamster heaven has the same floor area but is lower.

If you’re good at diy then meshing could be the way to go with the Ferplast cage but I wouldn’t fancy it! You need to make sure there are no sharp edges on the mesh as well.

You can also check out gumtree and eBay for a second hand hamster heaven but it works best without the plastic stuff except the one solid shelf (ie without the penthouse and tubes and just one shelf). Otherwise they block up the tubes and pee in them). So if you find a used one, make sure it comes with the tube hole blockers.

Is it this cage? If so the bar spacing is ok as it’s 1cm. But it’s far too tall and would need a full level making. Hansters climb but aren’t good at getting down again and just drop and are easily injured. Whilst it is close to 80 x 50 you would probably find the floor area not quite big enough for a Syrian - once you have a Syrian sized wheel, house and toys/tunnels etc in there. Syrians do best with rat sized toys.

Ferplast comfortable ferret and mice cage FURAT, two-storey structure with accessories included, reinforced corner, Red, 78 x 48 x h 70 cm: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Another option is a diy cage. The Linmon cage is popular (instructions on YouTube) using IKEA pieces from a linmon table.

Last edited by souffle; 02-01-2021 at 09:58 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote