View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 04:38 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Edwina went to the doctor's.

So sorry to hear this Ria. It sounds like what Moo had and out vet said it was a mammary tumour/tumours. She also said they were quite common. The mammary glands in both male and female hamsters cover most of their underside up to their chest area.

I was also given Metacam to see if it would shrink it but Moo’s lumps were quite large so too late for surgery and they didn’t shrink noticeably. The Metacam will help with pain though.

I wouldn’t try to scruff her - it might hurt her. I had to scruff moo to get a good photo for the vet but it really distressed him and that was the only indication I got that he may be feeling pain - they hide it so well. I felt terrible afterwards.

If the lump isn’t too big it could be removed but one they get quite large it is too big a body area to operate on really, with any chance of survival.

They can be benign or cancerous but either way the main issue when they get bigger is mobility. But Moo soldiered on till the end. Our Robo also had them.

I hope the Metacam helps and consider if surgery is an option.

As others have said, they usually like the taste of Metacam but our first hamster Charlie wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole. And if I put it in the food he sussed that, rejected the food and gave filthy looks as if to say “are you trying to poison me?”

You will probably need to put it in something strong flavoured and irresistible. Anything meaty is usually popular. Have you tried the chicken based baby foods? Just a tiny pea sized amount on a mini dish with the drop of Metacam on top.

Or chicken applaws cat food was recommended to me too. Another tip I saw was a bit of prawn cracker with the meds soaked in.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote