Thread: Rosie & Bloom
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 04:10 PM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Rosie & Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst_ice View Post
As we are chatting diet, moreso as they are pet shop, they should be on a high protein diet until around 10-12 weeks old alongside their regular dry mix. It really does make a difference in their development

I get wilko kitten pouches (have 4 flavours and around £2.50 for 12 I think), boiled egg (can also be given in the shell for enrichment!), chicken, oily fish (the sardine tins for 50p good).

If all the diet additions is too scary, I recommend getting Dr,Squiggles to put in their water.

Veggies there is a good safe list list

Vegetables and Fruits

Mine get kale or spring greens almost daily. Kale is like rat catnip! Very good for them too. It can also be frozen to limit wastage. Kittens should have stinkier poop btw so that shouldn't be a aworry, and be aware carrot can make poop orange, I thought it was blood at first!

I make my own mix, I live alone and it is far cheaper, even with a few rats. I and many use Harrisons banana brunch as a base, ,you get 15kg. Then just get no sugar cereals from supermarket, I add wholemeal pasta, rice cakes, rye cakes and dried herbs and flowers as my usual. Also seeds like sunflower and pumkin.. again, atm im ,minus my main base, im managing to keep up my mix via my supermarket orders

Im experimenting with dog kibbles, usually a fish based one best. As already mentioned, shunamite diet is a good guide.. it sounds scary but I really noticed the differene in smell, coats and general condition when I switched from my original.. gulp..science selective.. to museli mixes. It isn't as scary as it sounds, I quite enjoy making up the mixes!

Depending on my group, I bowl or scatter feed. I also do a starve day..where I don't feed them, this helps with wastage but my current mix is obviously a hit as each morning just a few seed husks left

I hope that isnt all too daunting. Putting the work in when young really does pay off with rats
There's a video on YouTube explaining shumanite both simplified: How to make a simple balanced rat mix - YouTube

And more complex: Making a mix part 2: more complex mix - YouTube

I too agree it pays off even though it's scary at first. I use Dr squiggles and calcivet in the water. Just for piece of mind really. Mine go mad for Sheba cat food but I'm trying to find an alternative as it's not that great. They prefer fish over chicken which doesn't help and they seem to dislike tuna. They like edmame though which are high protein.

Ah protein poops how I don't miss you. Haha I noticed a lack of smell when going from commercial to homemade too. I too used science selective...it was once considered a decent food until the recipe change

The difference is huge it's kind of like feeding a hamster some awful pet shop mix compared to feeding rodipet.

By the way amethyst I don't know if you have an Aldi near you but the other day I bought some soya and mung bean pasta to put in my mix. Thought it was something different and worth mentioning