View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 12:34 PM  
sammy87
Newborn Pup

Default Spot cleaning - with a very shy hamster

hello all

I thought i would start a thread to gauge people's opinions on spot cleaning on new hamsters.
For abit of history i have had 5 hamsters, prior Gus who is my current hamster, through they started off nervous of me we could start the taming process within a couple of days and i could go into the cage to spot cleaning causing limited stress.

With Gus, he has been a completely different kettle of fish i have had him now for 3 weeks and we havent got to the taming process yet i am still waiting for him to relax and gain confidence enough to come out when iam in the room. When i have caught him out and about when the lights has been off. He will freeze at the sound of me and if i put my hand in the cage no where near him he will bear his teeth and stand on his hind legs so he is not happy present. Poor little boy. Hopefully this wiĺl change with time.

For the first two weeks i decide to go on the less disturbance is key so i reduced spot cleaning to every couple of days and then cleaning him on the second week. He found tye cage cleaning completely stressful and he cowered in a corner under a toy in a spare box and till i could return him to his home.

So its now back to a waiting game and him getting used to my presence however, he has decided to toilet in an area next to his bed under a large platform so me spot cleaning can be alittle disruptive for him. So i was wondering what everyone else had done in similar circumstances to reduce stress in term of spot cleaning for a nervous terrified little hamster? But also in helping Gus adjust tips are always welcome.

I would love to handle him but mostly i would like him to settle in and be comfortable.
sammy87 is offline   Reply With Quote