View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 06:49 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Elderly hamster broke teeth after grinding them. Any suggestions for a better die

She is quite an old lady at two and they often get teeth problems at this age. Softened food is the way to go but still put her regular hamster mix out - they can still chew it and it helps keep teeth trim - plus it allows them normal behaviours - pouching it and hoarding it.

I agree with Charlie though - if the bottom tooth is broken with sharp edges it might need trimming. Difficult to say as it can be very stressful for them going to the vets and having a tooth trim and may also need a whiff of gas.

So have a careful look at them. If it could cause sores (eg sharp edges where it’s broken) then it probably needs trimming. If it has just broken I would go with soft food. Our last Syrian’s teeth actually fell out at a pit this age.

The one time it is essential to get the teeth trimmed is if the bottom ones get too long and they can’t close their mouths properly (also means they can’t eat and lose weight rapidly).

So I’d just make a Judgemebt call. If she is fine in herself, it is not causing and issue then just supplement with softened hamster mix and baby food. If it is affecting her, the teeth are very long or there are sores then get her bottom teeth trimmed by the vet. Even then their teeth can splinter when being trimmed and you might find the extra bit breaks off on its own now. Are both bottom teeth broken?
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote