View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 11:54 AM  
mooncentral
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Pets at home hamsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffagrams View Post
Pets at Home 'Russian Hamsters' will always be Hybrids to some degree although some may appear to look more like a Winter White and others may look more like Campbells. Generally speaking, the only way that you can be sure that you have a purebred Winter White or Campbells is to go directly to a breeder that can give you a pedigree.

The last time I went to Pets at Home for anything, they had a podium thing in front of the cages and the family that were buying a hamster were given the choice of male or female but they weren't able to choose the exact hamster. Other branches may have a slightly different set up but at the moment I'm not sure if they're actually allowed to sell pets due to the lockdown situation.

In terms of what Pets at Home are able to tell you about the hamster, you'll find that quite frequently they know very little. The hamsters usually haven't really been handled much, if at all and sometimes you'll find that the staff can't always guarantee the sex, particularly where dwarfs are concerned.

A good rescue organisation or a breeder on the other hand will be able to tell you more about your hamster's personality. They will usually know more about the hamster's normal temperament and sometimes even their favourite foods and toys too. As a breeder myself, I always give my rehomers a fact file telling them this sort of thing as well as giving them information on things like the date that they were first handled and when they were separated from their siblings.
Yeah it was pretty much the same experience for them at one of the p@h you were told the colours and the gender and that’s about it.

It does seem p@h are trying to improve hamster care as they wouldn’t even sell a syrian to you if your cage was too small.
mooncentral is offline   Reply With Quote