View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 07:21 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Pets at home hamsters

It's all changed due to the covid situation and varies from shop to shop. Many petsathome shops don't sell hamsters at the moment. The ones that do usually require people to make an appointment to view and buy hamsters.
I live near four p@h and only one has hamsters for sale sometimes but i haven't seen any in the adoption centre for quite some time. When i bought Ozzy last May, they had too many hamsters post lockdown but had cordened off the tanks so people couldn't get too close or chose a hamster but things are forever changing.
It really is a matter of going there to see if dwarfs are available and then find out what the current procedures of buying one are.
Adoption is straight forward at a p@h but they don't always have a lot of information on the hamsters. If they do have back ground information they will share it with you.

I usually get hamsters for rehoming off Gumtree where people advertise them because they don't want them anymore, kids don't bother with them etc, all sorts of sad reasons or i see one living in an awful cage so i get the hamster, put him in a decent habitat and rehome to a suitable home.

I would advise your friends to do plenty of research before getting a hamster and this friendly forum is the ideal place to do that to be able to offer their future hamster the right kind of habitat and care.
The thread "Let's see your cages" on the Forum under Housinf is good for ideas and inspiration.

Websites like pets4homes and preloved are good places to look for a hamster in need of a home.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like. People here are always happy to answer anything you'd like to know.

I joined this forum when i got my first hamster but hadn't done much research so my hamster was in a cage with a wheel he soon outgrew and to be honest, i didn't have a clue.
By asking lots and lots of questions and with the help and patience of the lovely people here i did finally get it together and greatly improved my hamster's and future hamsters lives.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote