Thread: taming dwarf
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 03:14 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: taming dwarf

I have always used the Tiny Friends Farm sand without any issues. Any petsathome or petshop sells it and so does The Range shop. A dwarf does need a sandbath.

There isn't really any difference aside from a slightly different diet. Best to avoid any sugary foods because dwarfs are prone to diabetes.

Taming is the same as with a Syrian but a lot depends on the hamster's personality.

One of my dwarfs was tame and comfortable with humans the day i brought her home and another doesn't want any human contact and prefers to do his own thing.

I'd get your hamster home, let him settle in and adjust to his new environment and then see what kind of personality your hamster has and take taming from there.

I have a tiny dwarf who used to nibble me a lot but she's stopped that now that either she realized i'm not edible or she's accepted me handling her.

I did have one dwarf who never became tame enough to get picked up and would bite but he was ill and must have been badly treated before i adopted him.

You say that you are getting a Campbell dwarf so i take it your getting your hamster from a breeder. The ones in the petshops are hybrids but they're just as lovely.
A breeder should be able to tell you more about the hamster's character and would have handled him from about two weeks old so the hamster may already be tame.

Looking forward to meet your hamster.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote