View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 09:10 AM  
mooncentral
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Small cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffagrams View Post
Hello there,

If your hamster seems happy in her cage then I certainly wouldn't worry about moving her right now. If you later notice that she's becoming stressed out then upgrading is something that you can consider at a later date.

A lot of information shared on the internet concerning cage sizes is based on the old figures that used to be given by the RSPCA who have now removed that information from their publications in favour of a more general approach. Any figures you do see quoted on the internet are the opinion of the respective organiusation or individual as there is no legally defined global minimum cage size so please don't worry too much about cage sizes published on the internet. The fact that your hamaster seems happy shows that you are doing something right

I currently have seven dwarf hamsters and have owned them fairly exclusively for about nine years and I find that the cage that most of them have been the most happy and content in are my cages of 60x40cm. Yes, I've had some who have needed smaller cages from time to time and others who have needed bigger but I'll always address that when the issue arises.
Yeah she seems super happy and isn’t showing any signs of stress at the moment. I almost feel like if i upgraded her it might just cause more stress for her as she does seem to be enjoying herself at the moment.

Obviously the minute she starts to show stress i will look into upgrading but i just don’t think that is right atm.

The only reason i was so worried about the cage size is because of all the comments online people make about smaller cages. Ive literally seen people say that people are abusing their hamster just because their cage is a little smaller then the “450 square inch minimum”. I think it’s good to aim for a bigger cage but i just feel like my hamster is doing well at the moment and moving her up would just cause unnecessary stress.
mooncentral is offline   Reply With Quote