View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 08:16 AM  
rachaelsoren
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Sick Hamster. How do I proceed?

Hello. I was out of town for the weekend (left Friday night, came back Monday around noon) and when I came back, I noticed my hamster was not doing well at all. What I noticed at the time: not moving, difficulty breathing, crusty nose, and eyes sealed shut. Thinking he had gotten an infection, I took him to the vet. She looked him over and she said he had deep labored breathing that sounded like a respiratory infection. She opened his mouth and that’s where we saw a big problem. His left lower tooth was huge. She said there was a possibility that it had punctured his upper palate sometime this weekend and that’s why it was so sudden, but she didn’t know for sure(she’s not an expert in animals his size, but did know a bit). She clipped the tooth and sent me home with antibiotics: Enrofloxacin, 0.1 mL, twice a day. I gave a dose to him last night when I got home and am going give another soon. He is extremely weak and I don’t really know what to do. He is breathing through his mouth and every time he breathes there is a squeak/click. I am currently trying to give him water and some soft food through syringes but he’s not liking as when he tries to breath, he probably breathes in some water or soft food? He’s not walking around at all when I put him in his tank, just sleeping. I moved him to a smaller tank so everything he would need is right there next to him. I cleaned out this tank and just gave him a shallow layer of soft paper bedding, a sleep sack with a little bedding in it, a heating pad under the tank and sleep sack to keep him warm, a shallow dish outside the sleep sack with some soaked pellets and a couple nuts just in case he started feeling better when i was sleeping and wanted a snack, his water bottle, and a wood chew just in case. I removed his sand bath and wheel as he was very weak. Please let me know if you need anymore information. I just don’t know what to do as he’s not eating and having difficulty drinking and breathing.

Jarvis: dwarf hamster(robo?), black, male, age: ? (age is difficult to determine as i’d gotten him from a person off craigslist who had him in a crittertrail cage, but my best guess would be 2.5-3 years old).
rachaelsoren is offline   Reply With Quote