View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 01:31 PM  
Hapax

Unhappy Hamster suddenly less friendly/tame?

Hi! So I’ve had 2 female Russian dwarves for around 4-5 months now. At first I had them together in a detolf cage (2 of everything, equal attention etc), but after a few months one of them started bullying the other (no serious fights, just chasing her away from the wheels and pushing her around) so I separated them. The bullied one is thriving now, and she seems to be really enjoying having her own space.

The other one also seems happy in her own space. She is the more dominant one and also the tamer one, she absolutely LOVES to be picked up and held. Every time we would walk by the cage, she would run to the glass and jump against it until we put our hands in for her to climb on. Except now, 3 weeks after the transition to being alone, she no longer wants to be held? I can’t think of anything else we have changed. The first 2 weeks she was her usual self, but this past week and a half she does anything to avoid being picked up. She still runs to the glass to see us, but doesn’t hop into our hands like she used to...it’s really quite sad! It used to be so endearing. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Or is this just a normal behaviour with age? She has never been aggressive, she’s eating and drinking and playing as usual, no other strange behaviours. TIA!
Hapax is offline   Reply With Quote