View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 06:02 AM  
MrsPHammy
Newborn Pup

Default Re: New hamster excessive itching-worried!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Hello and welcome to HC?

Some new hamsters groom a lot when they are settling in and still feel a bit insecure.
What happens when you don't try to interact with her? Does she still scratch a lot or does she carry on with hamstering about like exploring and foraging for food?
It's a good idea to put half her food in her bowl and scatter the other half about in her cage for her to find.
A big heap of torn into strips plain white toilet paper left near her bottomless house for nest building also helps them to make their home and become less stressed.

If you notice any red or sore patches of skin or bald areas then i would take her to the vet now.
What kind of substrate do you use?

Hi, thank you!

I think it may just be stress to be honest. When I'm not interacting with her she's fine going about her business, on her wheel and is eating and drinking plenty. Love the idea about scattering the food as well so will definitely try that out with her. She's on carefresh at the minute which surely couldn't be agitating her skin. However, the lady I got her from had her on shavings and I've read those can carry mites/be irritable for their skin? I can't really get that close to look at her skin, it's her 3rd day with me and she's still very nervous when I even come near to the cage-often running away. I've tried giving her treats through the bar and she's come towards me but then ends up retreating away from me. I'm assuming she wants to be left alone mostly still. My last hamster was the tamest little man ever- coming out of his cage and wanting to be handled in a matter of days but Penelope couldn't be less like this haha! I'm hoping she warms up to me in time

Also another quick question,
Because she's frightened I don't know when the best time to do things in her cage would be such as change her food? Would it be better to do this when she is sleeping as it won't make her as scared. I have no clue what I'm gonna do when I have to clean her cage if she's still really nervous!
MrsPHammy is offline   Reply With Quote