Thread: Maggots!
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 06:54 AM  
Vierville
Hamster Addict

Default Maggots!

I just wanted to put up a warning after a really awful incident this week in which I discovered maggots infesting one of Baldrick's food hoards.

My three dwarf hamsters Nanuk, Baldrick and Norman live in my spare room, their cages up against a wall. During the preceeding few days I had begun to notice tiny maggits on the wall and ceiling in that room. This horrified me as I keep the house very clean - we have a cleaning lady twice a week and we clean up every other day, there is not even a rubbish bin in that room and definitely nothing that could rot in there.

I was baffled as they seemed to be appearing from nowhere. I even thought maybe they were coming from the apartment above ours.

I decided to do a full complete cleanout of all my hamsters' cages just to be safe but I honestly did not expect to find anything. I was horrified then to find in Baldrick's one hoarding spot a number of maggots that had clearly been eating his food.

Of course I threw everything out and disinfected all their cages and hopefully I will not have any more but it was really awful.

I usually spot clean their cages every day and do a more thorough clean once a week, however, following advice about not disturbing their food hoards, I generally tend to not disturb the areas of the cage where I know they store their hoard. And it was there that I found the maggots.

I have noticed a number of small moths on the ceiling in that room snd am wondering if the maggots could be moth larvae?
Vierville is offline   Reply With Quote