View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 05:19 PM  
Margaret the dwarf
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Syrian loss of use of hind legs - any ideas for wheelchair??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst_ice View Post
How old is your hamster? A stroke could be possible and sometimes the paralysis can lessen but sometimes it can remain. When a hamster has mobility issues like this, I always discuss with my vet the likelihood they are in pain and weigh up quality of life. As prey animals they hide pain well so it can be tricky knowing and of course none of us want our little furbubs to be in pain. Other things I weigh up is the level of hygiene the hammy is managing to maintain. A dirty belly or smelly fur, sores from dragging legs can all become quite sore and even turn into ulcers. Do you have a little video at all?
She is 19months old. We rescued her at 12months. We are taking her to a special "pocket pet vet" on Monday to get some advice. Her hygiene so far has been about the same as before the loss of use if hind legs. Her fur looks great and she still grooms her top half with her front legs. The sores and ulcers I will definitely keep an eye on. The only thing that really bothers us is that she started to bite us. And she was never ever like that. She was the most gentle hamster ever until before her health went down hill. So that is alarming because we figured she is biting because she might be in pain? So hopefully the vet will give us their advice and hopefully they can tell us what happened to her to cause the back legs to quit working because the other 2 vets we took her to couldn't tell us. I will post video or a link to video asap. She gets around quite well but tires out quickly. Thanks for your help.
Margaret the dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote