View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 05:16 AM  
Cathers97
Newborn Pup

Angry Don't know what to do with my new hamster ..

Hi everyone,

I got a new hamster last Monday so he's been here a little over a week now. I bought him a savic plaza, huge wheel, 10 inches of bedding etc. I left him alone at first,only going near his cage to feed and change water etc, then tried to speak to him gently etc.

I'm concerned because I have barely seen him at all. I am trying to be patient and know taming can take months with some hammy's and I'm fine with that. But my concern is he literally will not leave his nest if anyone is in the room, even sitting silently and even when staying up into the early hours to wait I can hear he's awake but he won't come out He plays on his wheel, takes food etc overnight.

I am wondering if I have given him too many places to hide and considering slowly removing some of the hides and bedding over the course of a few days to somewhat force him out. If we had made any progress at all I wouldn't feel the need to do this but I am worried he will become used to this set up and we will never ever see him.

Please note also that he came from a breeder who had him completely tame !! On the day I collected him he was sat in her hands for 10 mins no problems, very chill and relaxed so the fact he seems to avoid me at all costs does upset me.

Please help.

Thanks!
Cathers97 is offline   Reply With Quote