View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 05:50 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: minimum cage size?

I believe that it is difficult to truly have a minimum cage size because unless it became law, it technically would only ever be a guideline and difficult to enforce.

However if there was an absolute minimum cage size, I think they would have to carefully evaluate the needs of many examples of each species of hamster as the differing behaviours of each species means that they're going to have different requirements and they will also have to consider the needs of unwell hamsters, hamsters in pet shops, elderly hamsters and babies and it is for that reason that I don't believe that an enforceable absolute minimum should be as high as 80x50cm.

I personally don't believe that a big cage is everything, after all what is a big cage without adequate substrate or enrichment? To go down the route of enforcing cage sizes could distract from the other very important aspects of hamster care and I personally feel that a hamster that is in a 70x40cm cage with enough substrate and plenty of toys is going to be better off than one in a bare 80x50cm cage.

I usually use cages of about 60x40cm for my Chinese and Robos because that is what I have found works best for them based on my experience but I have larger cages available to be able to upgrade them if needed. I realise that I am fortunate to have that option as the average pet owner will not want to keep a range of different cages available to be able to do that.

I feel that a better approach is the way in which cages are sold and marketed rather than bringing in legislations which would then take valuable resources to enforce. I feel that larger cages should be more readily available and at more affordable prices and the pet shops could be recommending them more to potential new hamster owners.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote