View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 04:45 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: New hamster, struggling!

If you got your ham for Christmas then it hasn’t been that long, it can take some hams a while to settle in & gain enough confidence to come out when we’re around so he may just need longer, don’t feel too bad about what happened, people are often given this sort of advice & it can set things back especially if they escape & have to be caught which is obviously stressful but he will get over it.
I would just spend time talking to him quietly, even when he doesn’t come out of his house, leave a treat nearby then step away & he should gradually make the connection between you & something nice & safe!
Do you have a photo of your cage set up? The way the cage is set up can make a big difference to their confidence, they need lots of substrate ( a house should have no base & be directly on the substrate) plenty of hideouts, things like bendy bridges, cork tunnels or tubes or even cardboard tubes (pringle size) can work well for this. If the cage is a bit empty he will feel very exposed & unsafe when coming out of his house. A photo would help to see if there’s anything you could do to make it better for him.
For now I’d just give him more time & don’t try to rush things.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote