View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 04:26 AM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Robo questions re food and taming

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
It does sound like he’s a real little hoarder! I agree with Ria that you really don’t need to worry, I can totally understand it, I have bouts of losing my confidence even after all the times I’ve been keeping hams but you do know what you’re doing.
I would stick to about a teaspoon of food a day, I usually give the main mix in the morning & any extras, veg etc in the evening.
Sunflower & pumpkin seeds for humans are fine, I do prefer to give both in the shell though as I think have to get it out of the shell adds a little bit more natural enrichment & is beneficial for their teeth.
I’ve never tamed a robo but some Chinese can be as timid as robos so I usually start out with a large bin so I can easily put my hand in & they can have toys to explore & some substrate to dig in, if he’s really brave maybe move on to a playpen or other area that’s big enough to s it in with him, just follow your instincts though & go at his pace.
I would persevere with food on your hand, a little nibbling at first is normal & he’ll probably stop doing it soon enough.
Cypher I always have a wobble at some point when I get a new hamster, I guess this was mine with Comet

Oh that is a good point with the seeds, I will try to get some in the shells too.

I have a big cardboard box all setup, but worried it was too much for him. I might try it in a few weeks. oh that's a good point to put some substrate in it.

Thank you