View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 12:23 PM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Robo questions re food and taming

Help needed please.

FOOD
I have lost all my confidence re the amount of food I am giving Comet my Robo. I've gone from worrying I'm not feeding him enough, to worrying that I am feeding him too much.

I have had him nearly 2 weeks.

He is on the Bunny Dream dwarf hamster food.

How much should I be giving him, and how often?
I am asking this as I was giving him a little bit each day, I fill his 2 little walnut halves full which is a boredom breaker i have, scatter a bit, and put some in his bowl. He eats or pouches it all straight away.
I have also given him mealworms and flax sprays and some other sort of wheat spray (i think that is what it is). How often and how many of these should I be giving him, I read that out of all the hamsters they have the fastest metabolism, so although they are small they need a lot of food, is that true?
He also has a hedgehog whimzee and I have given him some fresh veg and a bit of egg. Should I be giving him anything else?

As an experiment last night I filled his food bowl up completely which was about 18g of food. All gone.
I don't want to go off destroying his whole cage to see how much stash he has got. As I am not quite sure where it would be.
He's been up today looking for food, but because he took all that last night I wasn't sure whether to give him a bit more.
He has been foraging and he has been finding little bits to eat/pouch.

Going forward I want to give him a little bit every day and not 1 big lot to last a couple of days, just as I thought he might stress about not having any food when he is clearly looking for it. Do you think what I was doing initially was enough?

TAMING
Also, re taming, from what I understand he is quite tame for a robo, he will come running for food off me, if I put it on my hand, he will have a nibble of my hand (doesn't hurt) but if I hold it in my finger tips it is fine. Do i persevere with food on the hand, or just leave in finger tips?

Also I don't know where to go with the next stage of taming, or do you think this will be it and I should just stay at this level for the time being.

Also he zooms up and off again if my hand is in the cage, sometimes he has a sniff and sometimes he has a nibble and if I touch anything he comes up to investigate. He is quite fearless for a little creature.

Thoughts and advice welcome please.