View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 03:19 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster climbing curtains

They behave completely differently out of the cage to in it. Out of the cage they go into foraging mode and activity. The cage is their home and habitat and they get territorial about it and are often content to have a simple housekeeping routine in the cage - although they do like to forage a bit in there too so scattering a bit of hamster mix (as well as putting it in the bowl) helps with that. They like to rearrange the substrate, refurbish their nest, pouch nesting material and run in their wheel - they also like a shelf - something to sit on to have a wash or sit under (helps them feel secure). So their priority in the cage is protecting their nest and hoard and a bit of chilling. But yes once they get used to free roaming they want to keep doing it

Just because she climbs the curtains doesn’t mean she likes climbing- she’s just being active. We had one many years ago too that used to climb to the top and it was so funny seeing his head pop over the top. I had no idea back then it was dangerous and he could fall - luckily he never did but that can just drop (they’re not good at climbing down again). She’s just exploring to see where it goes- you can guarantee that even if they are in a nice big room they want to get out of the door and go further. Just contrariness really!

Personally I wouldn’t add climbing toys to a cage as there is a risk of fall and injury in the cage as well. A lot of cage toys get completely ignored as well as their priority in the cage is nesting, hoarding and their wheel. I would definitely have a shelf or platform though. In fact some hamsters don’t feel secure unless access to a platform is stable and secure (as opposed to rocking around and moving).
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote