View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 07:58 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Is this too cold?

Some additional warmth is needed somehow. I wouldn't be keen on the idea of moving to another room overnight as regular moves also unsettle them and can cause stress. I use a small oil filled heater as Cypher mentions. Which is like a radiator that plugs in. It is plugged in overnight but I have one with a safety cut out and a thermostat so it only comes on when the temperature drops below the setting I've put in. Then it stays on till the room is that temperature then goes off again. Kind of thing. But it did cost me £50 to get the heater with the thermostat - it also has a timer.

You could get one without a thermostat and use it on a plug in timer and just have it come on a couple of times during the night to keep the chill off. But I completely understand the concern about leaving something plugged in overnight (which is why I got the one with the safety cut out).

Other options could be a couple of the microwave hot water bottles like this. And maybe a blanket over the cage as well. They don't put out much heat at all and to be honest I think it would only help a little bit if the room was very cold.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SnuggleSafe...5020094&sr=8-2

Frosts overnight can lead to freezing temperatures as well. It's good you're thinking about it though as sadly there are always cases of hamsters dying from torpor in winter. I switch off all plugs except the heater on the thermostat every night. There might be a circuit breaker plug you can use to make it safe if there's an electrical fault or surge eg.

Something like this - cuts the power if there is a fault. I think someone used it for a fish tank (as presumably they need leaving switched on overnight as well - some kind of electrical thing for them).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptor-Lea...55&sr=8-9&th=1

Another option is a heat lamp but that is also electrical but you have to be careful things don't get too hot with those as well.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 11-10-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote