Thread: Piggies?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2020, 08:28 AM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Piggies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Ah right. I had piggies in the 70's and 80's and i guess things have changed since then. Didn't know that guinea pigs can be neutered and always thought they were too small an animal.
I thought so too but when I did some research males can be neutered it's preferred over a sow spay as it's less invasive (providing testes have descended). In English speaking countries they'll only neuter once that happens BUT in Germany (I think) they can be done at 3 weeks old I believe.

If they were both boars I would leave them intact as, unlike dogs, removing testes only stops them reproducing (after a 6 week window as they can still produce then) it doesn't change behaviour, which I found rather interesting. But (hopefully Oreo is pregnant) so he'll be moving back in with her after the op + 6 weeks.

By the time his testes are visible, Oreo would of had her litter so will know of the sexes then, but as it stands the plan is to castrate Chuck in the New year in order for him to live with Oreo.

I understand your concern though and wouldn't do it unless I had to as putting any animal under anesthesia is risky, especially rodents.