Thread: Roborovskis
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 11:26 AM  
Petite
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Roborovskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
With they detolf being a display cabinet couldn't a glass shelf be used as a secure chew proof divider?
Of course the glass would need to be covered with a mat or something so its not transparent.
Or use two shelves with a gap of a couple of inches and fill the gap with substrate.

Better to have two dwarf hamsters in two ca 70cm long cages than have one hamster in a huge cage because that's one more hamster saved from possibly ending up in a Spelos type cage.

I don't think a dwarf/dwarf or dwarf/robo detolf share would matter because i have hamsters living side by side.

Right Petite, where shall we run for cover, lol.
Thanks, Ria, for your helpful reply. Yes, I agree about saving another hamster from a Spelos type cage. I also agree about using the glass shelves as a divider, with two sandwiching a piece of cardboard so that they can't see each other. I don't think it's likely that two sheets of glass could be breached. Each cage would then by 80 x 40 cm (I have just measured it), which is approximately what people have suggested in this thread as being suitable for a robo. It's certainly a great deal larger than cages I've used in the past (but wouldn't condemn a hamster to again.)

We don't really have anywhere we could safely put another cage, and having splashed out on the detolf earlier this year, I can't really run to a rack system as well, although agree it's a good idea (thanks, Amityville).

Many thanks, Luna, for the robo food thread. It sounds like I will have to bite the bullet and invest in some mealworms - but not the live variety!

I'm not going to rush into this, but it's good to have food for thought. I would hope that by doing this I would also not be left in the very unhappy hamster-less position I was in in January, with Theo's untimely passing.

Thank you to all for this helpful feedback.
Petite is offline   Reply With Quote