View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 06:45 PM  
spookymulder
Hamster Pup

Default New Detolf - Suggestions

We picked up and put together the Detolf today. I changed from the blue Kaytee Clean and Cozy to the white and added some Timothy Hay to the mix as well as placed about 1/2 the original blue bedding in with new bedding. It took about 95% of a large bag of bedding. Bedding on the left side is 6-7" deep. I don't think I can go much higher until I add a cover.

Also ordered a Silent Runner 12" wheel.

I built a temporary corner platform until I get a multiroom house and with the bars in the Detolf the hamster was able to grab hold and pull herself up so I placed toilet paper rolls over the bars to prevent that temporarily until a cover is made to prevent escape. Also she was digging in the corners and biting the bars so I covered those corners with toilet paper rolls.

Added corrugated cardboard with food inside (thanks Ikea) and some spray for foraging as well as spread some food out in the bedding.

I have a small Kaytee house, a hollow Coconut house and she also uses the area under the platform to sleep.

Will eventually probably section off about 1/4th of the area for a sand bath, bathroom (hopefully) and the wheel.

Looked for some drift wood and other things to decorate but haven't found anything fitting yet. Hobby Lobby seems to have some workable decorations but I wasn't sure about the safety of the material. What about moss or fake moss? I noticed some decorations with fake moss.

Smooth rocks that can't be pouched are definitely ok?

Any other suggestions or "bad behavior" prevention ideas?

It definitely isn't pretty yet. :P
spookymulder is offline   Reply With Quote