Thread: Tumour removal.
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 04:33 PM  
sarahhhh
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Tumour removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Hi. I had a similar situation with a roborovski with tumours. Surgery would have involved such a large part of his body it seemed too much. He lived a good six months after the lumps appeared, and they got bigger and affected his mobility but he was quite happy and still using his wheel and enjoying food.

What I did was to make everything a level surface by putting hemp mat over the top of the substrate. He couldn’t walk on the squishy surface of substrate. By putting the hemp mat on the top the level was still right in his cage (hemp mat just in the cage base would have been a bit hard too.). It also allowed to have the surface slightly undulating in places but still flat. I cut holes in the hemp mat to fit his food bowl and sand bath in so they were pushed down in the substrate and the top level with the hemp mat and had hemp mat “steps “ pieces up to his wheel so he could get straight in without needing to climb in.

Yes I would remove the level . You can add more floor hideouts etc to make up for it. An upturned Sputnik or cardboard box hide eg.

Our Robo kept going on Metacam pain reliever for some time. In the end I had to have him pts as he lost so much weight and the vet decided he was suffering.
Thank you, I'm so sorry about your ham. You clearly cared very much for him and he was lucky to have you. My concern for the hemp mat is that she LOVES burrowing, she has all 3 chambers; poop, food and bed (even though she gets them confused and poops in her food). How is this possible with a hemp mat? And how would you clean it? Would you just buy a new one?
Thank you so much, she's had a really stressful day so I'll make the necessary changes tomorrow or the day after to give her some space.
Also, she seemed off when we got back from the vets, usually she's very aggressive and hisses and bites as soon as a hand comes near her outside of her usual cage (shes a rescue), but she let me pick her up (I was checking she was ok because she seemed dazed) and didn't make a sound. She just seemed out of it. Is this a normal reaction to stress for hammies?
sarahhhh is offline   Reply With Quote