Thread: Tumour removal.
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 03:59 PM  
sarahhhh
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Tumour removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I’m really sorry to hear this & I can imagine how worried & stressed you must be.
I haven’t had a ham go through surgery personally but over the years there have been quite a few members on here who have had ham undergo surgery for tumour removal & most often they do seem to do well.
There are some things to consider though, the older the ham the harder it is for them to cope with an operation & recover well but older hams can do well so in’t unheard of.
Anaesthetic is always a risk for such a small animal.
where the tumour is & what it’s attached to will also be a factor in whether surgery is appropriate or not & the chances of making a good recovery so there is a lot to discuss with the vet there.
I hope surgery is an option & your ham recovers well, if not an option then you might want to discuss pain killers if necessary & ways to keep her comfortable if she is able to continue to live with the tumour for some time.
Thank you, I definitely kept your advice in mind today. The vet said that surgery could be done but it would require removing her whole leg which isn’t something I’m willing to risk at her age and since her quality of life is quite good right now.the vets have given me some meloxicam for emergency situations as it seems it’s not bothering her too much right now. One thing I’ve done is attempted to make her cage more accessible for her as her growth is affecting mobility, she keeps getting stuck. I’ve cut open her toilet paper tubes so she can get out easier, I’m going to make her a new hide that is easier for her to get in and out of and I may remove her cage platform. I’ve already changed her food bowl to slates to stop her having to climb in and out of it. Do you have any experience with meloxicam and do you have any idea on how to help her with mobility? Thank you again for your advice and kind words, I carried them with me today x
sarahhhh is offline   Reply With Quote