View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 06:46 AM  
Amethyst_ice

Default Re: Cage/Peer pressure on social media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picket View Post
I feel like I was told everything I had given my hamster was "unsuitable", "extremely inappropriate", that my choice of Carefresh bedding was so bad I should change it immediately, and the 800+ square inch habitat I am building doesn't have enough floor space. This was the first response I received to my first ever post on the board. It didn't feel especially accepting.

While I did ask for advice and guidance, I mostly felt shamed instead.
Just had a browse of your thread. I don't think any of the members were shaming or being negative, I think there was an overload of information thrown your way and the positives of your research and plans and current set up as a new owner got lost amongst that. Please don't ever feel that way on HC. We thrive for constructive advice and suggestions in a healthy and safe environment here. Your daughter looks very happy and many new owners don't join a forum for extra advice.

As discussions often go, the thread has derailed slightly to my original intensions- I don't really class forums as social media, I was thinking more IG where it's more image based than discussion.

Some very interesting points raised though and I think the underlying message is that many owners who have done their research know their individual hamster and their own needs and find a fair compromise for them both.

I am quite interested to see a "lived in" large natural tank set up as many of the images I see seem to be after clean outs. I know I have had many hamsters in the past who have upturned the entire cage after cleaning, and why not, it is their space after all