View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 01:31 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Need help and advice!

The dialysis powder is just a probiotic, some form of olive (seed or plant I don’t know but the whole plant does have antioxidant properties) & a prebiotic so it won’t be doing him any harm & may do him some good although I’m not sure how that would specifically benefit his kidneys, no harm in giving that anyway.
It’s not really possible to know about the antibiotic dose as dilution may vary making it sound a lot compared to what we would usually be prescribed her for hams but it is generally best to finish a course of antibiotics & not stop it early, as he seems to be improving then I would keep giving it.
I’m guessing good hamster food isn’t available where you are but I wouldn’t cut back on anything, give him ample food mix & I would supplement with some healthy seeds if you can get them, hemp & flax (linseed) are good all round, if you can get buckwheat try some of that, I wouldn’t give sunflower or sesame seeds as they are a bit higher in phosphorus, although I don’t think you should be trying to exclude that from his diet there’s no point in giving foods that are particularly high in it. Pumpkin seeds would be better.
Try to stick to more normal hamster foods for treats if you can, things like the seeds, nuts, try millet if you can get it & things like plain chicken again, give plenty of fresh veg too.
How does he get on with the soup? If he likes it then no harm in continuing with that but I wouldn’t make that too large a part of his diet. Their diet really shouldn’t contain too much liquid, that may even put a strain on the kidneys.
If he’s not drinking from his bottle (& that may be because he doesn’t need to if he is eating the soup) try giving a small shallow bowl & see how he gets on with that.
Just as a kind of summary I would suggest keep up the meds don’t cut out foods because of phosphorus etc & just concentrate on giving him the best quality complete diet you can.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote