View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 06:36 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Wink Re: Henry and Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I get the 50ml as that lasts me ages even giving it to four hams, the shelf life is quite good but not long enough for a 100ml bottle to keep.
I have now received a 50ml bottle of the Potent Brew but the instructions are vague. It states 1 drop per 30g of hamster which would work out to 6 or 7 drops for Syrian Henry and it says daily for a sick animal and weekly for a healthy one.
It doesn't say anything about timing or how to take it as in with or without food. It's not something controlable anyway because a hamster eats when he wants to.

I haven't taken Henry to the vet because i'm administering Baytril leftover from the last course at the same dosage. I want to find out if its a reoccuring, permanent condition he has like Luna's hamster had who was then put on permanent maintenance antibiotics.
Or maybe one 7 days course wasn't enough to fight the infection and a second one was needed, we'll see.

I had heard that my local vet was good with small animals but the vet on duty (ex vet of a pet shop notorious for giving out wrong information) wasn't and refused to prescribe the correct treatment. The locum i saw a couple of days later was fine but i'm reluctant to take Henry back there.

I have found an exotics vet in a town near me who i had thought accepts patients via referral only but after checking their website properly i realized that i can book a consultation myself so will make an appointment there if its an ongoing thing and he needs to see a vet.

Oh, its so worrying for us humans when they're sick, not that Henry seems too bothered by it.
He used to be a rotund 230g hamster but now he feels a bit bonier and lighter. Poor Henry.
That's him this morning at breakfast while i was at work. I keep telling my OH to only give him a tiny bit of scrambled egg but he doesn't comprehend the word tiny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20200915-WA0000.jpg (192.2 KB, 13 views)
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote