View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 02:23 PM  
sushi_78
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: Cage/Peer pressure on social media

I think the benefits of barred cages as opposed to tanks are underappreciated - better interaction with the hamster, potential for front opening doors, better ventilation, potential for shelves and hanging toys. If only there were barred cages with deeper bases of about 8 inches, I think that would be ideal.

I partially agree and partially disagree about the wheels. I've never owned a Syrian but have boarded some and it's been my experience that a few small Syrians can run on an 8.5 inch with a flat back, most need slightly bigger, but all Syrians prefer and seem most comfortable on an 11 inch wheel. It is a useful minimum in that it works for basically all Syrians and it's much simpler to give a single number to an owner than to try to explain the position a hamster's back should be in when running (especially when I'm communicating via Whatsapp to a parent who really isn't that interested in their child's hamster's spine and just wants to be told exactly what to buy). Over time, these general recommendations tend to become absolutes, especially on social media which often isn't good at conveying nuance. 11 inches is often touted as a minimum below which all Syrians will have bent backs, which just isn't true, and people shouldn't criticise owners for a hamster in a smaller wheel if the back isn't actually arching. I don't measure hamsters' wheels when they arrive, I just see if the back is arching, and if it is, I message the owners with information about wheels.
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote