View Single Post
Old 09-13-2020, 11:17 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Smile Re: Henry and Gordon

Wee Gordon has always been a very shy hamster who seemed to live underground and surfaced later and later, usually way after midnight.
It took him over three months to come to my hand to eat seeds and that didn't happen that often because i didn't see him much.
In August he had his Gotcha day and had been with us for a year, he was around seven months old when i adopted him.

Shortly after his Gotcha day his behaviour changed.
He started to come out during the day and we suddenly had a hamster we were able to watch. Ok, i had upset him by catching him for a health check so i put it down to that. I rarely clean his cage and have done a full clean once but found that it hadn't been necessary because he doesn't smell and his pee seems to evaporate so i only spot clean now every three months or so.

A month later and he still comes out during the day and what's more, i am now able to stroke him without him darting away!
He must be around 20 months so slowly heading towards old age but still has a good coat of fur. Not sure about his teeth though because i haven't managed to check them properly. I am wondering if i should start to supplement with some soft foods. He had some scrambled egg this morning and loved it. Maybe i should try porridge again and hopefully this time he won't jump into it and then roll in the sand to get it off.
Do Robos eat babyfood? If yes, which one?

What i'm really wondering is:

Would it be possible for a hamster to need a whole year to learn to trust and feel secure?

That's him this afternoon running around on his roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200913_182831.jpg (2.50 MB, 8 views)
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote