View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 09:38 PM  
Wembley
Newborn Pup

Question strange hamster behaviour?

Hello! Posting because my dwarf hamster Mabel has been a bit strange lately. She's not sick, eats and drinks normally, and LOVES to burrow; so much so that I have trouble getting her to socialize.
I've handled her before and she used to get right into my hand all the time when I was spot cleaning etc, but now if I turn the lights on in her room she just runs into her hide till I'm gone. Today I just put some treats in my palm for her since I thought backtracking in taming would be good instead of always taking her all the way out into the playpen, but after she ate them and walked around my wrist and hand for a while she bolted into her cage despite no movement or sound from me? She's almost five months old and I've had her for almost four months. I just disheartens me that I don't see her often and makes me feel like she doesn't like me but when she IS out to play shes super active and climbs on me? Why the sudden shyness? Is it just a personality thing, where she'd rather just stay at home?

BTW her cage is a 720 square inch diy melamine and plexiglass one, so she has plenty of space
Wembley is offline   Reply With Quote